Articles on this Page
- 12/06/13--07:38: _Congratulations to ...
- 12/06/13--09:50: _Have questions abou...
- 12/06/13--09:59: _Radiant Orchid—Pant...
- 12/06/13--10:04: _celebrate the holid...
- 12/06/13--11:20: _Theresa's Toy Shop ...
- 12/06/13--11:35: _Holiday Dressing: T...
- 12/06/13--12:17: _Vanilla Kifli Cooki...
- 12/06/13--13:19: _Why Does Dennis Bas...
- 12/06/13--13:31: _#MBCelebrates Beaut...
- 12/06/13--13:58: _A Message From Coco...
- 12/09/13--08:54: _Christmas with Sara...
- 12/09/13--09:25: _West Chester Christ...
- 12/09/13--11:38: _Dress Shopping, Chr...
- 12/09/13--14:08: _Christmastime in Au...
- 12/10/13--11:11: _Gift Ideas for Thos...
- 12/10/13--12:10: _Time to Celebrate!
- 12/10/13--13:01: _Lemon-Poppy Seed Br...
- 12/11/13--07:46: _Keurig Merry & Brig...
- 12/11/13--08:53: _GIVE A GIFT OF GLAM!
- 12/11/13--09:46: _My Not-Quite Relaxi...
- 12/06/13--07:38: Congratulations to the tarte Bow 'N Go Sweepstakes Winners!
- 12/06/13--09:59: Radiant Orchid—Pantone’s 2014 Color of the Year is Here!
- 12/06/13--10:04: celebrate the holidays with philosophy
- 12/06/13--11:20: Theresa's Toy Shop - Less Than 3 Weeks Until Christmas!!!
- 12/06/13--11:35: Holiday Dressing: The "Do's" and "Dont's"
- 12/06/13--13:19: Why Does Dennis Basso Wear Blue Jeans For AM Style?
- 12/06/13--13:31: #MBCelebrates Beauty Instagram Contest
- 12/06/13--13:58: A Message From Coco Kerr And Her Mommy And Daddy
- 12/09/13--08:54: Christmas with Sarah Potempa
- 12/09/13--09:25: West Chester Christmas Parade
- 12/09/13--11:38: Dress Shopping, Christmas Decorating + Mally Obsessed
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp green onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, coarsely diced
- 1/2 cup medium red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup medium red pepper, diced
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- To prepare the shrimp, combine the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, green onion, parsley, and cilantro in a large bowl. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Place the shrimp in the fridge, and let them marinate for at least a 1/2 hour, but do not exceed 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the rice by sautéing the bacon until it begins to brown in a medium-size sauce pot. Add the onions and the red pepper to the pot and continue to sauté until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and add 4 cups of water. Bring the pot to a simmer and cover. Simmer until the water is absorbed, about 15–20 minutes.
- To cook the shrimp, place the marinated shrimp onto skewers and preheat your grill to medium heat. When it's reached temperature, place the shrimp skewers onto the grill and cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- When the water for the rice has completely absorbed, fluff lightly, then stir in the peas, soy sauce, and cilantro. Serve with the shrimp.
- 4 green apples
- 6 large potatoes, skin-on
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 large & 1 small container of sour cream
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 tins canned salmon
- 2 cans beets
- 2 red onions
- 1-1/2 large cucumbers
- 4 pieces ham steak
- Boil the potatoes with plenty of salt. Meanwhile, peel and core the apples.
- When potatoes are soft, remove them from the pot to cool. Then, scrape away their skins.
- Combine the salt, sugar, and mustard powder with sour cream in a large bowl and then add the remaining chopped ingredients.
- Allow the salad to sit for a good hour before serving, overnight is best!
- 12/10/13--11:11: Gift Ideas for Those Final People on Your List!
- 12/10/13--12:10: Time to Celebrate!
- 12/10/13--13:01: Lemon-Poppy Seed Bread -- What a Delicious Christmas Gift!
- 12/11/13--07:46: Keurig Merry & Bright Pinterest Sweepstakes Official Rules
- 1. ELIGIBILITY: The Sweepstakes is open to legal residents of the United States and District of Columbia, excluding Rhode Island, who are 18 years or older as of date of entry. Employees and agents of Sponsor and their parents, affiliates and subsidiaries, and their immediate families (parents, children, siblings and spouses) and their same household members are not eligible. Void outside of the United States and District of Columbia, and where prohibited by law. Void in Rhode Island and Puerto Rico. Subject to all federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- 2. SWEEPSTAKES ENTRY: There are two (2) ways to enter the Sweepstakes, online via http://pinterest.com/qvc (“Website”) or by mail. To enter the Sweepstakes by mail, send your name, address, and daytime telephone number on a standard 4 inch by 6 inch postcard addressed to Keurig “Merry & Bright” Pinterest Sweepstakes-- Studio Park Mail Code 201, West Chester, PA 19380 (“Mail Entry”). To enter the Sweepstakes online, complete the following steps:
- 3. SWEEPSTAKES PERIOD: The Sweepstakes begins on or about 12:00:01 am Eastern Time (“ET”) on December 11, 2013 and ends 11:59:59 pm ET on December 18, 2013 (“Sweepstakes Period”). Online Entries must be submitted by 11:59:59 pm ET on December 18, 2013. All Mail Entries must be postmarked by December 18, 2013 and received by December 20, 2013.
- 4. WINNER DETERMINATION: Ten (10) Winners will be determined by a random drawing from all eligible entries and will occur on or about December 20, 2013. Sponsor reserves the right to delay the random drawing. The number of eligible entries received will determine the odds of winning. Winning entries are subject to validation.
- 5. WINNER NOTIFICATION: Sponsor or a representative of Sponsor shall contact Potential Winners by email on or about December 20, 2013. Potential Winners may be required to execute and return an affidavit of eligibility, liability release, and (where legal) an affidavit of publicity prior to receiving the prize. Potential Winners will have forty-eight hours from the time he/she is contacted to respond and accept the prize. Noncompliance with the time period described above will result in disqualification and an alternate winner selected. Potential Winners may be required to present proof of identification prior to claiming prize. Acceptance of any prize shall require acceptance of the terms of these Official Rules and shall grant Sponsor the right to use Winners’ first name, last name and city and state of residence for any publicity associated with this Sweepstakes.
- 6. PRIZES: Ten (10) Winners will each receive a Keurig K10 Personal Coffee Maker with My K-Cup & 12 K-Cups Total Estimated Value of One (1) Prize: $115.00 Total Estimated Value of All Ten (10) Prizes Combined: $1,150.00
7. RELEASE OF LIABILITY: Sponsor’s failure to enforce any provision of these Official Rules shall not constitute the waiver of such provision. “Released Parties” (as defined in Rule 8) are not responsible for any changes or unavailability of the Pinterest service that may interfere with the Sweepstakes (including any limitations, restrictions or conditions on Sponsor's ability to use the service for the Sweepstakes) or ability of entrant to timely enter, receive notices or communicate with Sponsor. Released Parties are not responsible for failed, partial or garbled computer transmissions beyond their control, or for technical failures of any kind beyond their control, including but not limited to electronic malfunction, programming errors or failures, or damage or failure of any network, hardware or software. If for any reason the Sweepstakes (in whole or in part) is not capable of running as planned, as solely determined by Sponsor, including, but not limited to, by infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud or technical failures or any other problems beyond Sponsor's control that can corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes, Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes and/or disqualify any individual who tampers with (or attempts to tamper with) the registration process/operation of the Sweepstakes. In any such event, Sponsor shall conduct the Sweepstakes and make the Sweepstakes prize available to be won in a manner which is fair, appropriate and consistent with the spirit of these Official Rules, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Notice of cancellation/termination/ modification/suspension of Sweepstakes will be posted on the Website. Tampering (as referenced above) includes but is not limited to use of any unauthorized apparatus (be it hardware, software or otherwise) to participate in the Sweepstakes. Released Parties assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to (or any problems or technical malfunctions of) any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, hardware, software, failure of any email, Board or Pin to be received/properly recorded on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at the Website, or any combination thereof. Sponsor and its agencies are not responsible for any injury or damage to participant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation in or downloading any materials from this Sweepstakes or the Website. Further, Released Parties are not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by Website users, tampering, hacking, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Sweepstakes.
Participants further agree not to damage or cause interruption of the Sweepstakes and/or prevent others from participating in the Sweepstakes. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DAMAGE ANY ONLINE SERVICE OR WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST VIOLATES CRIMINAL OR CIVIL LAWS. IF SUCH AN ATTEMPT IS MADE OR AN INDIVIDUAL OTHERWISE ATTEMPTS TO DEFRAUD SPONSOR, SPONSOR MAY DISQUALIFY ANY PARTICIPANT MAKING SUCH ATTEMPT AND SEEK DAMAGES TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW.
8. CONDITIONS AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: By participating, participants agree to be bound by and abide by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which shall be final and binding in all respects and not subject to appeal. By participating in this Sweepstakes, entrants agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, their respective parent, subsidiary, affiliated and successor companies, advertising and promotion agencies , and each of their respective officers, directors, agents, representatives and employees, as well as each of their respective successors and assigns (collectively, the "Released Parties") from any and all actions, claims, loss or damage to person(s) or property arising in any manner, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part from participation in this Sweepstakes or any Sweepstakes-related activity, and/or acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize. By accepting the prize, Winner authorizes the Sponsor and its designees to use his/her name, voice, likeness, photograph, prize information, biographical data and city and state of residence in any media now known or hereafter discovered, world wide, including on the World Wide Web and Internet, in perpetuity, at any time or times, in programming, advertising, trade and/or promotional material relating to this Sweepstakes or on a Winner's List (if applicable) without additional compensation or notice, review or approval (unless prohibited by law). Sponsor is not obligated to use any of the above mentioned information or materials, but may do so and may edit such information or materials, at Sponsor's sole discretion, without obligation or compensation.
TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, RELEASED PARTIES MAKE NO WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION, OR GUARANTEE, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN FACT OR IN LAW, RELATIVE TO THE USE OF THE PRIZE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ITS QUALITY, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
- 9. DISPUTES: Arbitration/Choice Of Law: To the fullest extent permitted by law, entrants agree that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Sweepstakes, or the prize, or the determination of the Winner, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by arbitration pursuant to the Rules of the American Arbitration Association, then effective, and (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Sweepstakes (if any) but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrant and/or Released Parties in connection with the Sweepstakes, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, without regard for conflicts of law doctrine, and all proceedings shall take place in the City of Philadelphia, County of Philadelphia.
- 11. WINNER’S LIST: For the names of prize winners, mail a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Keurig “Merry & Bright” Pinterest Sweepstakes QVC Studio Park Mail Code 201, West Chester, PA 19380 or email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 12/11/13--08:53: GIVE A GIFT OF GLAM!
- 12/11/13--09:46: My Not-Quite Relaxing Bahamas Trip
What a treat it was reading about your most memorable holiday gifts! Your posts were special, sweet and full of heart. They even inspired a few of the things I’ll be gifting this year! And speaking of giving, here are the winners of our giveaway:
woman82: I have always received the best gifts from Mom. Although there are many great gifts, the one I would pick is my Clarisonic. I use it twice a day everyday. Your skin will never feel cleaner than after using a Clarisonic.
kpal: When I was 10, my dad, who was in the Army, was in VietNam. It was going to be the first Christmas I ever had without him. He had selected several gifts and mailed them home to us and Mother placed them under the tree for us to open Christmas morning. I would stare at the three boxes for me and wondered what could a soldier probably purchase for me in VietNam. However, Dec. 23rd, there was a knock on the door and there stood my dad. He had gotten leave and came home to surprise us. Christmas morning, he went to the tree and handed me the lovely yellow silk robe and the bottle of perfume he had selected for me. Those were wonderful, but the best gift was the smile on his face when I opened my jewelry box with the twirling ballerina in it. He had seen me the year before admiring one like it and he remembered. I still have that jewelry box and I cherish it almost as much as I do the memories of having a wonderful father as I did. when I open it and watch the ballerina twirl, I see that wonderful smile of his.
kcgirl636: The best holiday gift I ever got was from my fiance. About 2 years after dating we didn't have much money for gifts so he made me a picture collage out of pictures of us that fit like a puzzle that had a poem in the middle that was incredibly sweet and went together with the pics...then a year and a half later he gave me the best birthday and Valentine's day present ever....our son! <3
GreenMama: My husband spoils me and I am grateful for his generosity. Though this year he put his foot down about getting me anymore makeup. Understandable as I'm a bit of a tarte junkie. So you can imagine my surprise when he comes home from work one day, a little late and sneaks past me with a bag and goes and hides it. He later revealed it to me. It turns out he stopped by the cosmetic store and got me the tarte of giving collectors set and travel bag!!!! What a sweetheart! In spite of what you may think, it's his love that is the greatest gift I've ever received.
jazzyq: My husband bought new food storage container sets and other kitchen items and cleaned out reorganized the kitchen cabinets. Before his redo, when we opened the cabinets everything fell out onto the floor, and we could never find the matching lid for the correct container, after everything was neat, tidy and organized!
Here are the most frequently asked questions from our customers about the KitchenAid Pro 600 Design Series Stand Mixer. Don't see an answer to your question? Post your question to this blog, below, and check back throughout the day on Sunday, December 8, 2013, to have your question answered by our KitchenAid team of experts!
What is meant by a bowl-lift stand mixer?
KitchenAid Bowl-Lift stand mixers are designed with a lever that raises the mixing bowl into position for efficient mixing and lowers it with an easy turn of the lever. Heavy metal arms securely embrace the mixing bowl. The Bowl-Lift design provides sturdy bowl support for stability when mixing heavy ingredients or large batches.
Is the Glass Bowl on the Pro 600 Design Series stand mixer microwave, freezer & dishwasher safe?
The Glass Bowl is freezer and dishwasher safe. However, it is not microwave safe.
Why is the Spiral Dough Hook so special?
The PowerKnead™ Spiral Dough Hook has been designed to punch and roll dough like a pro. The unique spiral design of this dough hook replicates hand-kneading with a powerful force.
I notice the flat beater & dough hook are coated.
Yes, the coating is a food grade nylon coating that is dishwasher safe and makes cleanup a breeze.
What is the KitchenAid Flex Edge Beater and what does it do?
The Flex Edge beater is a coated metal beater with a flexible edge. It provides thorough and fast ingredient incorporation. It is perfect for those recipes that require you to “stop and scrape the mixing bowl”. The flex edge does the best job on foods that tend to stick and/or collect to the sides of the mixing bowl, like cream cheese, butter, nut butters and honey. Use the flex edge for end products that would be described as "creamy" and "silky". It also makes an excellent tool to wipe the bowl clean when pouring finished batters.
Can I use the Pro 600 Design Series Glass Bowl and Accessories on other KitchenAid 6-Quart mixers?
No. The Pro 600 Design Series Glass Bowl and Accessories (flat beater, spiral dough hook, pro whisk and flex edge beater) have been redesigned to work exclusively with the Pro 600 Design Series Stand Mixer.
Can you use the various stand mixer attachments such as the food grinder, ice cream maker, pasta rollers, etc. on the Pro 600 stand mixer?
Yes. All KitchenAid stand mixer attachments are universal and fit any KitchenAid stand mixer. All feature a multipurpose attachment hub that powers the attachments. Using attachments expands the capabilities of your stand mixer. Simply flip-up the hub cover, insert an attachment, and convert the stand mixer into a meat and cheese grinder, a fruit and vegetable slicer, shredder, strainer or juicer, a pasta sheet roller, cutter, or shaper, a sausage stuffer and more. You can even enjoy delicious homemade ice cream and sorbets with the ice cream maker attachment. While not powered through the hub, this attachment comes with an adapter that enables it to be used on all KitchenAid stand mixers. Attachments come with a Use & Care guide.
Does the Pro 600 Design Series stand mixer come with instructions?
Yes, a Use and Care Guide is included. The guide includes instructions for the stand mixer as well as recipes.
Information provided by KitchenAid.
We’re so excited that Pantone—the authority on color—announced their highly anticipated Color of the Year for 2014. How gorgeous is this pinky-purple known as “Radiant Orchid?!” Pantone says this will be the “it” color this year so don’t be surprised if you start seeing it pop up everywhere! Here are a few of our favorites in this girlie shade but stay tuned for lots more!
What do you think about Pantone’s 2014 Color of the Year? How do you think you’re most likely to try this shade this year—in your beauty routine, your style, or your home décor?
hello philosophy friends! we can’t believe it’s already december! the three of us have been so busy getting ready for our holiday shows here at QVC that we haven’t had very much time to shop, so we decided to sit down and brainstorm our favorite philosophy gifts for our family and friends. enjoy!
my favorite gift this year from philosophy has to be the rosy glow collection (A239170). the reason i selected this is because it could be one giant gift for you or someone you love. it's also the best to break apart for gifting multiple people you'd like to give a gift to. plus in true QVC spirit, the value of this is exceptional. it has the best of our skin care, the best of our fragrance, and the best of our holiday. each piece is ready to "bow and go" for gifts you'll be proud to give. make everyday a holiday with the rosy glow kit.
one of my favorite holiday sentiments is "may your days be merry and bright." from an early age, both my mother and grandmother impressed upon me that one of the greatest joys of christmas is to give…in both big ways and small. and like life's most important lessons, they taught me through their consistent example.
one of my earliest holiday memories is standing on a stool, baking alongside these two women. they effortlessly turned out treats, many from my grandmother's native sweden, that we'd wrap and personally deliver to neighbors and friends throughout the holiday season.
though my children and i still love to bake, following our long-held family tradition, i've supplemented holiday giving, especially when visiting family and friends, with philosophy's festive and fabulously scented offerings. they all create the same scrumptious experience that holiday treats offer…without a calorie count or shred of guilt. all contribute, even at the busiest times, to making your day, or someone you love's day, merry and bright.
i've done a number of personal appearances this holiday season and gift-giving is always a topic of conversation. the question i get the most is: what's your favorite philosophy gift to give others at holiday time? there are three that i stocked up on this year because they'll be welcomed by anyone of any age while creating a sense of cheer and fun festivity before, during, and after the holidays. this year, my friends, family, hostesses, and hosts will receive:
holiday handbook: (A239143) this is the cutest gift ever, and comes in an adorable gift box. anyone will love the generous assortment of holiday-themed, ultra-rich hand creams with both fresh-baked-just-out-of the-oven scents like homemade honey buns and spiced gingerbread cookie, and super-refreshing scents like cranberry medley, candy cane, and my new favorite: lemon custard cookie. our giving hands are especially busy this time of year and deserve the gift of increased hydration in the winter months. i have a special basket awaiting my daughter's arrival home from college this thanksgiving and this set is in it. i know caitlin will love this assortment that will refresh and lift her spirits as she prepares for final exams and dreams of her upcoming holiday break.
crème brulée 3 in one shampoo, shower gel and bubble bath: (A239120) you know a gift is a great one when you buy it for yourself and others. that's exactly what i've done with this shower gel that lives in every shower of our home. we all love it: from a 15-year-old boy, to my 52-year-old husband, to two girly girls. it's perfect for everyone. totally indulgent and has a rich foaming lather. we all love the combination of ingredients: caramelized sugar, creamy vanilla, sweet milk, and brown sugar. any host or hostess will love to sink into a luxurious moisturizing bath post party. the adorable gift box saves you time: no need to wrap!
oxygen peel: (A205159) it's a philosophy classic! this is the gift that i give to my very best girlfriends, especially those who do everything for others. doesn't she deserve a spa moment, and to look like she spent the day in the spa as opposed to slaving in the kitchen?! i think so!
so those are some of my favorites! wishing you, your family, and friends a holiday season that's merry and bright! and remember, as we always say at philosophy: giving is the greatest act of grace.
move over cinnamon buns, we have homemade honey buns! (A239131) every time i see one of these, my mouth waters. now i can cut that craving in the shower. if you enjoy the tantalizing scents of vanilla, caramel, and of course, honey, you can't go wrong with this one. i love how creamy and rich the lather is in the shampoo, bubble bath, and shower gel. and the lotion sinks in so quickly, i can get dressed immediately. the smell is yummy, and not overwhelming or too sweet. it's a great gift for anyone on your list, guy or gal…5‒105… everyone will love it! we wanted to make it easy for you this holiday season, so we also included a gift bag. you choose if you give both the lotion and the gel, or keep one for yourself. go ahead! i won't tell. :)
happy holidays and remember to enjoy your days and not let life pass you by.
—mari lyn meier
Can you believe we're now less than 3 weeks until Christmas? Wasn't it just "Christmas in July" last week? It sure feels like this year is flying by!
I'm so thankful to get to spend extra fun time with Theresa doing this special blog - "Theresa's Toy Shop"! We're having a lot of fun!
***Also, as a mom - I want to THANK all of you who have left her messages about how you've enjoyed what she's shared with you about toys she loves! Every time I read her one of the messages she smiles so big that she's beaming!!! THANK YOU!!! :)
So on we go with this weeks "Theresa's Toy Shop"!!!
Me: Sweetie, can you believe Santa is going to be here in almost 3 weeks?
Theresa: Is that a long time?
Me: It's not! I'm glad that Polka Dots the Elf is seeing how good you are!
Theresa: I love Polka Dots Mommy!
Yes - there's still time to get an Elf On The Shelf! Click here to find it.
Theresa's Toy Shop Pick #1
Deluxe My Image Bracelet Maker with 90 Color & Glitter Tiles -> Find it here.
Me: I know you love being creative - I'm so glad you love the bracelet maker!
Theresa: Oooh Mommy! I could make bracelets for my friends too!
Me: Pick out which color bracelet section you want and then I'll punch out the picture you want. We'll then glue it to the bracelet section and put it on the bracelet holder.
Theresa: I want the kitty, smiley face, dolphin - ooh and the sandcastle and the angel!
Me: They also have an app where we can take pictures of you, your friends or Grace and make them the right size to fit on the bracelet pieces! We can even put them on the other side and you can flip your bracelet with different pictures! We'll try that next time, ok?
Theresa: Ok! I love it! It's so colorful! Kids will have fun making up their own pictures and designs. I want to put a picture of Grace and my friends on the other side next time!
Me: Sounds like a plan sweetie!
Theresa's Toy Shop Pick #2
The Original Spirograph Deluxe Set with Bonus Card Making Kit -> click here!
Theresa: Mommy this looks so fun! Look at all the pieces! Ooh there are pens too and instructions with pretty pictures!
Me: Both mommy and daddy had Spirograph when we were little! It's so much fun! It takes a little practice to learn to hold the paper and keep the pen nice and level to get a perfect design. But playing around with it is half the fun! Since you said you want to be an artist when you grow up - I knew you'd love this!
Theresa: Can we use the big circle and the little circle? Oooh and the diamond one?
Me: Yes! This now comes with tacky putty to help hold down the circle on the paper! We didn't have that when we were little!
Theresa: Ooooh this is fun! Can I use the green pen too?
Me: Yes! That's the fun of Spirograph - if you mix your pen colors you get all sorts of beautiful designs! Do you think other kids would like it?
Theresa: I love it! Yes, they'd love to make swirly circles and pointy circles with lots of colors! Mommy, can I take this to school to show my teacher and my friends?
Me: Absolutely! Your drawing is so pretty!!! I got an extra set for me and daddy because we loved having fun with Spirograph too!
Theresa: Yea! We can have family art night together!
Me: That sounds wonderful!
Theresa's Toy Shop Pick #3
Berkshire Blanket Cuddly Buddy Plush Hooded Throw -> click here.
Theresa: Mommy this blanket is so adorable! It even has a tail and spots!
Me: And a bone!
Theresa: It's cozy and soft like the blanket on my bed!
Me: You're right - it's the same type of blanket from Berkshire - except you can wear this one! Did you see that there are places to put your hands in the paws?
Theresa: Now I look like a cute doggie! I wonder if Grace will think I'm another doggie?
Me: She'd try to snuggle with you! I'm so glad you love the Doggie choice! They also have a Lady Bug, a Cat and a Princess with a crown! Would these be a good gift for a kid?
Theresa: Yea, they're soft and cozy. You can cuddle up and get toasty warm. Boys and girls will live them. Plus I can pretend I'm a doggie! Mommy can I sleep with it tonight?
Me: Absolutely "Theresa-Dog"!
Theresa: Woof! Woof! Mommy you need one too and we can be Mommy Dog and Baby Dog!
Me: Ask Daddy to get me one for Christmas!!! ;)
There you go! 3 more gift ideas from "Theresa's Toy Shop"!
I hope she's been able to help you find some good gifts! With less than 3 weeks until Christmas - if you can't find something here - please check out our Toy Shop here -> QVC Toys
Have a GREAT weekend!
Jacque & Theresa :)
You can always find me (Jacque) on Facebook at www.facebook.com/jacqueqvc
Before you searching always remember to change your IP adress to not be followed!
PROTECT YOURSELF & SUPPORT US! Purchase a VPN Today!
Hope you find our new piece on Holiday dressing useful! Tune in to Fashionably Early with Jayne & Pat on Monday morning, Dec. 9 at 6am ET to see all the ways to wear our sparkly All Over Sequin Cape (A227970) as seen on Courtney Cason!
It's official: the holiday season is upon us, and as we scramble to put together our festive looks, I'm going to give you some do's and don'ts and perhaps, fresh new approach to holiday dressing.
1. DON'T Wear a Cocktail Dress to Work
Many of us will be going from work straight to a party. Do not wear a cocktail dress to work. It's much more chic to wear something tonal, for example, a winter white pencil skirt or a trouser with a cashmere sweater. For those of us who have beautiful silver streaks, white is one of the most flattering colors you can wear, on top of being a huge trend this season. Wearing a tonal baseline creates an elongated silhouette. Putting a charcoal sweater over your tonal look will keep your look toned down for day, and adding a fun necklace will make you ready for the evening.
Dietitian, wellness speaker and model, Maye Musk
2. DON'T Look Like Mrs. Clause
Another don't is to stay clear of looking like Mrs. Clause. The post-50 woman of today is so much more vibrant and modern than the dreaded jingle bell earrings with an appliqué sweater. As in the previous look of all white, you can add accessories that will bring that festive touch of color. It can be a necklace, an earring, a scarf, or a bag.
VT Luxe Three Panel Wrap with Sequin & Lurex details (A227838)
3. DON'T Overdo Your Look with Accessories
Speaking of accessorizing, beware of overdoing it. If you're wearing a statement necklace, stick to a simple stud or a button earring. If you're opting for dangling earrings, a cocktail ring will be enough complete the look. If you're going for sparkly bangles, keep the rings to a minimum. It's also a good idea to keep the bangles and the rings on one arm, leaving the other one clean for a sleek look that's not overdone.
Dietitian, wellness speaker and model, Maye Musk
Stay connected with us on Facebook and twitter @VTLuxe
- The VT Luxe Team
We started the month with Pizzelles, then we washed those down with some decadent Mexican Hot Chocolate, and this Sunday on In the Kitchen with David, we’re back to cookies! I was trying wait another week before I baked any at home, but right this very minute my kitchen smells like a bakery and I LOVE IT! Is cookie baking on your calendar this weekend? Or maybe next? Be sure to browse my dessert recipes on QVC.com for some ideas. And, this Sunday join us for a new recipe: Vanilla Kifli Cookies. These are a favorite in Hungary, the next country we’re highlighting during “Christmas Around the World” month. Lucky for you, I’ve got the recipe ready today—with photos to boot!
Vanilla Kifli Cookies
Makes 20 cookies
This recipe is prepared using the KitchenAid 6-Quart 575 Watt Glass Bowl Lift Stand Mixer with Flex Edge & 3 Accessories (K39831).
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
3 Tbsp sugar
Seeds scraped from 1/2 vanilla bean
1 cup, plus 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 oz blanched almonds
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
Seeds scraped from 1/2 vanilla bean
1/3 cup, plus 1 Tbsp confectioners’ sugar
1 large egg yolk
To prepare the sugar coating, place both sugars and the vanilla bean seeds into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the seeds are distributed throughout the sugar. Pour the mixture into a small bowl and set aside.
To prepare the cookies, place the flour, almonds, and salt in the same food processor bowl. Pulse until the almonds are finely chopped, then set the mixture aside.
Mix the butter, vanilla bean seeds, and sugar in a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until fully combined, just as pictured above. Add the egg yolk to the bowl and mix until creamy. Add the flour-almond mixture and continue mixing until fully incorporated.
Form a disc with the dough, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 90 minutes.
Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Remove the dough from the fridge, and with your hands, roll the dough into 1/2"W x 3"L logs, making sure that the ends of the logs are slightly tapered, then curve the dough slightly to form a crescent shape. Place the crescents onto the prepared cookie sheet, about 1" apart.
Bake the cookies for 7 minutes, then rotate the pan and bake for another 7 minutes, or until light golden brown.
Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and place it onto a wire rack. Let the cookies sit for 3–4 minutes, then gently toss each one into the vanilla-sugar mixture until completely coated on all sides. Let the cookies cool before serving.
Foodies, these are kind of like butter cookies with that crisp bite and smooth flavor. The sugary coating and vanilla flavor makes them downright addictive. Maybe I’ll be nice and make a batch of these for my In the Kitchen with David team. And, maybe I’ll freeze a few for Santa…
So these cookies are a Hungarian specialty. And, wouldn’t you know our team has connections in that country, too! Kaitlin, our ITKWD copywriting intern has a dear friend from college who spent some time in Hungary. Kaitlin asked Lauren to lend us her insight on Christmastime in the pretty country, and not only did we get it, but we got pictures!
Kaitlin: Where did you live in Hungary? What are your memories of Christmas?
Lauren: After college graduation, I packed up and moved to Hungary to teach English. I spent the next year completely immersed in the culture of a town called Salgotarjan (SHAL-go-taar-E-an)—a small city about an hour north of Budapest. It’s near the Slovakian border, and I could actually walk to Slovakia from my apartment. Christmas was a magical time in Hungary. The city was covered in snow and there were lights and decorations everywhere.
Kaitlin: What are some of the most popular Christmas customs in Hungary?
Lauren: Starting at the beginning of December, our town square was transformed into a Christmas market, complete with a large Christmas tree and nativity scene. There were even real sheep in the nativity scene! They belonged to the town and were well taken care of. There was entertainment, socializing, and delicious hot spiced wine almost every night of the month.
Kaitlin: Is Christmas Eve just as important as Christmas Day? Is there another day in December when you prepare or celebrate?
Lauren: Most of December is dedicated to celebrating the holidays in Hungary. The most important days are the 6th, the 24th, the 25th, and the 26th (Boxing Day). On the 6th, children receive small gifts left in their shoes. On the 24th, they open presents again—but this time they’re placed under a decorated Christmas tree, and are from angels or Baby Jesus himself. The children aren’t supposed to open gifts or even walk in the room until after attending mass and having a family dinner. On the 25th, Christmas Day, and the 26th, Boxing Day, both holidays are spent enjoying traditional foods with family and friends.
Kaitlin: Does Santa exists in Hungary? What are children taught about him?
Lauren: December 6th is called Mikolas Day (day of St. Nicholas). Mikolas is a traditional St. Nick who leaves small gifts for children in their boots, which are left freshly polished on windowsills the night before. Mikolas gives surprises like candy, fruits, and toys to good children, and coal, onions, or rocks to bad children. The celebration continues throughout the day for both children and adults. I remember most of my students brought me a small treat that day.
Kaitlin: What kinds of food do families enjoy at Christmas? What was your favorite dish?
Lauren: There are two parts of the Christmas meal that I remember most vividly. Beigli—a walnut & poppy seed pastry which is rolled, then cut into slices—was the only dessert served during the holidays. Another favorite was the forralt bor—a warm wine steeped with spices (cinnamon sticks, gloves, ginger, all spice, and anise) and citrus zest, then mixed with brandy and brown sugar. These two items were at every party, every festival, and I enjoyed my fair share throughout December.
According to Katilin, Lauren serves that special wine at her holiday party every year. Rumor has it Kaitlin seems to have claimed a stake right next to the punch bowl!
I’ll leave you with another cookie-related question today, foodies…what’s the most unusual cookie recipe you make? Is it my Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bacon Cookies? Do you make coffee-flavored cookies? Maybe cookies with a veggie like zucchini or sweet potato? My friend Jill Bauer has a GREAT recipe for Sweet and Salty Shortbread Cookies and one of the six ingredients is potato chips.
I can’t wait to visit “Hungary” with you this Sunday and hear what you think of my Vanilla Kifli Cookie recipe. I’ll see you then at Noon ET—we’ve got a 5-hour show! It’s Holiday Shopping Weekend on QVC. Stay on the lookout for a brand-new cookbook set from talented author Anne Byrn…Cake Doctor and Dinner Doctor. Both books are just $21 and change. That’s two gifts for around $10.
Keep it flavorful!
I have a lot of Dennis Basso “stories”. With his larger-than-life personality and infectious enthusiasm, there have been many memorable moments. But my favorite Dennis anecdote is this one...
For years, Dennis had been a frequent guest on AM Style. Always appearing on air impeccably dressed in a suit and tie. I never gave much thought to the fact that, in order to arrive on time for our early morning show, he traveled by car from New York City in the wee hours. As you might expect, for the drive down, he wore his comfy clothes -- sweat pants.
Driving from NY to QVC
One particular Saturday, Dennis arrived in his sweat pants, with garment bag in tow. He settled into the green room and everything was fine until he realized that the garment bag contained only “part” of his suit. Somehow, the pants had been left behind. What to do...? We couldn’t cancel his presentation, but there were no suit pants!
I explained that Saturday mornings on AM Style are laid-back and relaxed. No one would mind if he was too. So, in true Dennis fashion, he put on the jacket, and shirt and tie -- he even put on his dress shoes. And he wore them with the SWEAT PANTS! It was hilarious, and the most fun we had ever had on the air.
These days, Dennis is impeccably dressed in jeans and a sports coat for his AM Style appearances. I take a little credit for his more relaxed style. And he agrees.
Dennis in jeans and jacket for AM Style
I adore Dennis Basso! In my 18 years at QVC (He’s celebrating 20!) he has become a dear friend. Yes, he is a celebrated designer, his runway shows are amazing, and his clients are some of the most famous people around. But the joy and pride that he continues to take in his collection for QVC is evident in every piece. And the fact that he’s just as passionate wearing a designer suit or sweat pants makes him all the more delightful!
Jayne Brown with Dennis and me backstage
I’ll be with Dennis next week for afantastic Today’s Special Value and here’s a little peek. ;)
See you in the AM!
Packed to the rafters to see the couture collection of Dennis Basso
Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in NY
Dennis Basso Runway Show
Hi My Loves! I am SO excited to Celebrate Your Beauty with an "amazois" Instagram contest! We'll be giving away something really special, so don't forget to join the conversation using #MBCelebrates!
I can't wait to see all the beauty in your life, My Loves!!! Go out, conquer the world and celebrate like there is no tomorrow!!! XXX
*For complete contest rules, visit: http://www.mallybeauty.com/instagram-contest-rules
*No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited. Must be 18 years or older to enter. This promotion is in no way sponsored or administered by, or associated with, QVC.
As 2013 quickly comes to a close I have to say thanks for all the many blessings our family received this year. It all kicked off with the birth of our little princess Jericho, who we can’t believe turns one year old in a month! She is healthy, happy and so smart which is all we could ask for. Also, Judson and I were able to carve out a little mommy and daddy time to celebrate our 5th anniversary in Turks and Caicos. The vacation was just what the doctor ordered but unfortunately I was under the weather for most of it. My stomach was upset most of the time, my clothes weren’t fitting right and I was unusually exhausted considering I was on vacation doing nothing but laying around on the beach all day. Do you see where this is going? That’s right! It turns out I was 9 weeks pregnant and had no idea!
After such a difficult pregnancy with Jericho I had no desire to ever be pregnant again. The plan was to close up shop and be one and done after Coco. But it turns out the Lord had a different plan for us and come next May our family will welcome a little boy into the fold. God never gives us more than we can handle and I will say this pregnancy has been so easy compared to the first one. I feel great and so far so good with the growth and development of the baby. The doctors are keeping a close eye on me due to my age and also the short length between pregnancies but we have faith everything will be fine. Daddy is also doing well, already referring to the baby as “Junior.” (We will see about that!)
I’m excited to share our news with you and also this 3D image of our little guy. I’m already in love with his sweet little face and can’t wait to meet him!
Before you searching always remember to change your IP adress to not be followed!
PROTECT YOURSELF & SUPPORT US! Purchase a VPN Today!
The holidays are my favorite time of the year! I love the winter air, holiday party hair, and the festive clothes I get to wear. I also love to reminisce about all of my wonderful family holiday memories and traditions that I had growing up. From being a little girl who sat by the window waiting for Santa Claus on Christmas Eve, to anxiously racing down the steps with my four siblings on Christmas Day, it is all about those fun unforgettable times with your family that you will remember forever. Now as a mother and wife, I am excited to continue these traditions as well as create new ones with my husband and two children.
1. To kick off the holiday season, my husband, kids and I go get a Christmas tree. Some years we are daring and cut it down ourselves and others, we pick the perfect one out at a farm. Growing up, my husband worked as a Christmas tree salesman so he is very specific about what type we get and where exactly the tree comes from.
2. When I was younger after we brought our tree home we would pop popcorn, string it with needles & thread and hang the popcorn alongside our ornaments.
3. As kids in the Potempa home, we used to put our shoes outside our bedroom doors on December 5th (the eve of Saint Nick Day) before we went to bed and when we woke up in the morning we were always shocked and equally excited that they were filled with candy from Saint Nick.
4. My dad has four siblings so every Christmas Eve we would rotate between our cousins houses. We loved playing a grab bag game where each person brings one present (there was a girls grab bag and a boys grab bag). Everyone would pick a number out of a bowl. The person with #1 picks a gift and then the person with # 2 has the option to steal from #1 or pick a new gift and so on....it was always so much fun to go 1st as they have the option to steal any gift of their choice at the end of the game (if they prefer).
5. On Christmas Eve at our cousins, all of the kids would gather around and look out the window for Santa Claus and miraculously after dinner he would always arrive and pass out gifts to everyone (mysteriously one of our Uncles was always missing, but none of the kids ever noticed)!!
6. On Christmas Eve after the grab bag party, our family dinner and the visit from Santa Claus we would all pile in the car and go to midnight mass at our Church.
7. I also have four siblings and when we were younger one of our favorite traditions was to wake up as early as possible on Christmas morning, all sit on the stairs and wait until my parents were awake (and after they had had their coffee) to let us know that Santa Claus had arrived and our presents were waiting for us under the tree. Then it was an immediate mad dash!!
8. Once we opened all of our presents on Christmas morning our parents would give us our stockings that were hanging on the mantle and were always filled with fun little gifts. Our dogs would also get a stocking full of treats and costumes and we would dress them up for the day. After all of that excitement, my dad would make Hot Dogs and Eggs...and we loved every bite!
9. Later in the day on Christmas, after a morning of playing with our toys in our pajamas, we would all get dressed up in one of our new outfits and our Grandma would come over for a formal family dinner. She would always bring her gravy recipe that was so delicious and has since been past on to us.
10. Between Christmas and New Years, we would always have a themed party with all of our family and friends that were in town for the holidays. Some of my favorite themes were the 80's, the ugly sweater and prom. My birthday is December 29th so sometimes it would double as a birthday party for me too!!
11. Now that I am grown and have a family of my own, every year we create new traditions. One of my favorites is Pat, Grayson and now Lauder (this will be her 1st Christmas) and I get dressed up for a family photo so that we can send out holiday cards to our nearest and dearest.
12. With my job, I am lucky enough to travel all over the world and every place I have ever gone to, I have bought a Christmas ornament. To make it that much more fun, every year my husband and I buy each other an ornament from a place that we have traveled in that year...so to keep the tradition going, the tree filled with memories and our holidays shining bright!!
It means the world to me to be able to share my twelve most memorable past and present traditions with you. The holidays would not be the same without them or the amazing people that share them with me. I would love to hear about some of your favorite holiday traditions!
Happy Holidays to you and yours! Xo,
Hello PM Stylers! I trust you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! It has been full steam ahead in our house. Everything from Volunteering, to decorating, to spending time with family and friends… this Holiday Season is already off to a roaring start!
Where to start: My Mom and I went dress shopping at Kleinfeld’s… what an amazing time. I said YES to every single dress in that store. They are all beyond gorgeous!
Aaron and I went Christmas tree hunting the day after my parents left, and I’m happy to report, we got a tree that was too big for our house. Not only was it a little too tall, we didn’t take into consideration the diameter of the tree and how it might block our doorway once up in the tree stand :) Francesca, as we call her, had a haircut in the front yard for all of the neighbors to see, but is now resting comfortably in the corner of our living room. Barely.
The cats are enjoying the Christmas decorating as much as we are and with their can do attitude of chewing on every single decorative piece, we will be celebrating well into March of 2014 because we can’t possibly find all of the evidence at once.
We finally got our kitchen painted which means we are no longer living in the 1960s, 70s, or 80s. It was a solid 3 month after the fact effort, but we’re pretty happy with the new color!
Beauty Obsession: Mally MegaKit, A234034 -> Find it here.
All I want for Christmas is for Mally to do my makeup Every. Single. Day. I feel like this kit is exactly that. Everything is full size and ready for a full face. Here we go, a few of my favorite things:
The Blush and Highlighter Duo: Some Highlighter looks like highlighter. Mally’s is smooth, flawless, and makes you look like you were born with radiant skin.
Shadow Sticks: The quickest way you could get color from an eyeshadow and I love it because it brings out any eye color. If you’ve only got 10 seconds, it’s got 7, and its dazzling color.
New to brows: Mally’s Brow Beauty color stick is probably the quickest fix to brows I’ve come across. I love that if you don’t have brows or you just want to spruce yours up, this is buildable coverage that lasts.
Perfect Prep Poreless Primer: To make this easy on you… you have pores. The only phrase that does this miracle worker justice is “Now you see em’, Now you don’t.”
This is a gift for YOU. This is that gift that gives you a makeup refresher for 2014 and gets you fully stocked for any occasion. What do you think, girls?!
If you don’t find a holiday piece for yourself in PM Style tonight, I’m going to be sad for you. We’ve got a special 4 hour show for you tonight and you will be seeing quite a few designers making an appearance, so I hope that you get inspired. Here are a few beautiful pieces…
Fancy Pants by Isaac Mizrahi, A239101
Faux Fur Collar Scarf by Dennis Basso A227719
Sequin Capelet by VT Luxe A227970
Project Runway All Stars -> click here
Silly me, I thought last week we would be seeing Lisa Robertson on the Runway, but obviously when I turned on PRAS, I saw another familiar face; Marge Simpson. How cool! I loved what she said about her choice in Fashion; “Find one great dress and wear it for the rest of your life.” I think there is some truth to that! It took me a long time to grasp the concept of price and investment pieces, but I think if you find that perfect dress, that perfect jacket, why wouldn’t you wear it for the rest of your life?
There were a lot of good designs this week! What a tough decision…
Korto- Sexy all the way.
Christopher- You all know I love Christopher. I just feel like that fabric was the wrong, wrong choice for Marge. I would have loved the silhouette of the dress but the draping on the upper torso had me at goodbye.
Jeffrey- Oh no. I just can’t even comment on his.
Irinia- You blew me away! It was full of drama and beauty- and I would die to wear it.
Viktor- He had my favorite design this week, but would Marge wear it? Who cares J.
Seth Aaron- The color of the dress is was GORG! Considering he had changed his dress 5 times, I didn’t hate his final outcome.
Elena- I loved both pieces. Did I think they both needed to come down the runway? Not necessarily, but when they are both that beautiful… we all win.
See you tonight for PM Style! Chat with me from 6-10PM on my Facebook page, @Courtney Cason QVC.
I had a cookie-baking marathon on Saturday. I made chocolate chip, Dark Chocolate Coconut Macaroons, and Raisin-Filled Cookies! My house still smells delicious and I’ve somehow run out of milk. I’ll head to the store in a minute for that and some shrimp! We’re celebrating Christmas in Australia this Wednesday on In the Kitchen with David and we’re making Shrimp on the Barbie!
Shrimp on the Barbie
Makes 4–6 servings
This recipe is prepared using the Cook's Essentials® ColorSmart Nonstick 10-Piece Aluminum Cookware Set (K39180).
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
It’s Christmastime—let’s throw another shrimp on the barbie! Isn’t that a fun saying, foodies? For years I thought it was as Australian as Vegemite. But, believe it or not, it was a phrase actually popularized by Crocodile Dundee star Paul Hogan in a 1980s commercial sponsored by the Australian Tourist Commission (ATC). In the original script, Paul said, “prawns on the barbie,” because a “prawn” is the Australian term for shrimp. But, American travel agencies quickly encouraged the ATC to change “prawn” to “shrimp.” And, to date, the ATME (Association of Travel Marketing Executives) says that commercial remains the most successful campaign ever launched by a foreign country in the USA. Isn't that interesting?
I just love learning about little things like that. And, I love learning about new cultures—especially when it comes to Christmastime! To lend a little insight about Australia’s traditions, we asked Chef Jason Roberts to answer a few questions. Many thanks to Mary QVC for interviewing him!
Mary QVC: Where did you grow up, Chef Jason?
Jason: I was born in the South Island of New Zealand in a small little town called Oamaru. At the age of 3 my mum and I uprooted and moved to Queensland, Australia where we spent the next 10 years on a dairy farm. Growing up on a farm lends itself the ability to learn logic through living off the land, hence my pull towards wanting to cook and having a trade behind me! At the age of 13 my mum, brother and sister.. Jumped the ditch back to New Zealand, where I finished out my years of school, before leaving back for Australia at the age of 18 to sink my teeth into what would be the rest of my life: traveling the world as a cook!
Mary QVC: What were some of your Christmas traditions?
Jason: In my younger years, my family would travel back to New Zealand every other year to visit my grandparents over Christmas, where my mother’s side of the family would get together! I loved this Christmas, as I got see all my cousins who were around the same age as me. Christmas lunch was something special: a very inviting, fun, family scene. It’s something I have really grown to miss, as my grandparents have passed and our family members spread out. As a family, we still celebrate when possible. Our most famous family tradition is my Grandmother’s Risolia, an eastern European (Estonian) salad, consisting of beets, potatoes, apples, onions, herrings, ham, boiled egg, parsley, onions, and sour cream. Nana would keep it in an old ice cream container and we (my cousins and I) took turns getting scolded for opening the fridge door another 50 times Christmas Day!
Mary QVC: What kind of foods did you eat at Christmas?
Jason: Nana Goodman (in the photo above) really was the matriarch of our family. Her Christmas dinner became the highlight of a trip back to New Zealand and it may be one of the biggest reasons I miss her so much now that she has passed. The Christmas table was long and filled with eastern European specialties, Brawn, Risolia, as well as roasted chickens, roasted leg of lamb, glazed ham, steamed potatoes boiled with mint, lashings of butter, pastries, cakes, jellies, trifle…and there was always a bevy of biscuits (cookies) iced vovo's, Gollywogs, gingersnaps, and Anzac biscuits.
Nana also had an amazing recipe for trifle and she made the custard, the jelly and the sponge all from scratch! It was the perfect dessert, with amazing flavor and texture. I guess I equate a good family meal with love, interaction and fellowship. I'm pretty sure I got that from my Nana, which is why our connection was, and still is, so close....
Mary QVC: Is Christmas Eve just as important as Christmas Day? Is there another day in December when you prepare or celebrate?
Jason: Well in Australia, for maybe the last 20 years I have lived coastal, so, I'm the sort of person who will surf as long as I can on the 24th and then do all my prep the night before. And, seeing that it's summer in Australia, our Christmas lunch has a tendency to be a lot lighter consisting of more seafood than heavy roasted dishes. Our ham is served cold, with mustard. We often have bowls of fresh oysters and freshly peeled prawns. The BBQ will get its workout with lamb cutlets and snags (sausages), maybe a few mussels will get thrown on the 'barbie' as well…and our Christmas celebration dessert is generally a Pavlova loaded with cream and fresh fruit. But all in all, the 25th is a day of eating, family, family feuds, and passing out around 4pm. Two hours later we wake back up and ravage the fridge in search of leftovers!
Mary QVC Does Santa exist? What are children taught about him?
Jason: Absolutely Santa exists!!, Are you trying to tell me something??????? I think for the most part, children grow up believing Christmas is a day for getting presents, and as we get older it’s a day of giving, receiving, family, community and who the White-Bearded man really is on a spiritual level. That reminds me, I need to post my letter to Santa…I’m hoping he brings me a David Venable cookbook!
Chef Jason, of COURSE Santa exists. If you’re a good boy, I’m sure you’ll find a cookbook under your tree! Foodies, here's the recipe for his nana's Risolia:
Foodies, your blog question for today is what’s your favorite kind of seafood? Do you like shrimp? Lobster? Salmon? Bass? Chef Fabio Viviani told us about Italy’s Feast of the Seven fishes in an earlier blog and I’m sure many of you also enjoy your favorite seafood on Christmas Eve! Tell me about it! I’ll see you this Wednesday at 8pm ET.
Keep it flavorful!
While a holly jolly Christmas may be the best time of the year – it can also be a little stressful at times. Even those who make a list (and check it twice) may still have a few more last minute gifts to figure out. Whether it’s your Aunt Ida, or cousin Darlene – we all have those people in our lives that are hard to shop for. Just in case the snow and Christmas music aren’t bringing you any inspiration, the Studio Scoop team has compiled a go-to guide filled with last minute gifts that are guaranteed to please - after all, we do get to work in Santa’s workshop every day! So bake another batch of cookies, hang a few more lights, and stop stressing – we have your shopping taken care of:
"Perfect gift for a co-worker"
Click here to see on QVC.com > Effervescent Breath Treatment Crystals
You ever find yourself asking or being asked by a coworker for gum or a mint? This is the perfect gift for just about anyone at the office because it provides fresh breath without the temptation of blowing a bubble or the unmistakable clanging of mints in a back pocket. The breath crystals dissolve in the mouth quickly and keep breath smelling minty fresh for hours! It's a unique and functional gift that's definitely an icebreaker!
“Perfect gift for a guy – any guy”
Click here to see on QVC.com > purity made simple & micro-delivery wash
This gift is perfect for any guy – teens to adults. This skin cleansing duo is a gentle exfoliator and cleanser that leaves the skin refreshingly clean without smelling overly fragrant. It gently deep cleans pores of oil and dirt, while providing moisture. The larger sizes make it perfect for the whole body and perfect for holding your son over until his next trip home from college!
"Perfect for on the go woman"
Click here to see on QVC.com > T3 High Performance Hair Dryer
This blow dryer makes a great gift for any mom or busy woman who could use a little extra time in her day – especially when it comes to getting ready! The unique technology can significantly cut down on dry time, saving precious minutes and effort! No wonder it is a customer choice beauty award winner! What woman couldn't use more time in her day – or great hair?
“Multiple gifts for friends under 25 dollars”
Click here to see on QVC.com > Set of 3 Crystal Leverback Earrings
This gift is perfect to give out to three friends or family members who love a little sparkle and shine on their ears. Whether the fashion or basic colors, any lady is sure to be happy to add these to her wardrobe collection! You could also give away two and keep one for yourself! Perfect for gift giving on a budget!
“Ageless gift for any lady on your list”
Click here to see on QVC.com > Lamo Suede Mocassins w/ Faux Fur Lining
These faux fur mocassins not only look luxurious but feel like it too! A great gift idea for anyone from high school girls to grandmothers who want warm cozy feet! They come in a wide variety of colors and are sturdy enough to wear to class, out shopping, or at home relaxing!
“Perfect for a stylish best friend”
Click here to see on QVC.com > Tignanello Suede Drawstring Shoulder Bag
This bag is the ultimate bag to give to a best friend! The rich suede texture and jewel tone color options are perfect for any hand bag connoisseur. It's the perfect size to go shopping with or take on a night out with friends!
“Perfect gift for the guy with everything”
Click here to see on QVC.com > Bose Mini Bluetooth Speaker and
These Bose speakers may not look like much, but they will surround the listener with top of the line sound quality. Both speakers connect wirelessly to any Bluetooth device (i.e. an iPhone) and work off of a rechargeable battery. Either one will be sure to impress that hard to buy for, “I don’t really need anything”, person on your list!
“Perfect gift for the fitness guru”
Click here to see on QVC.com > Bose SportHeadphones w/ Armband
Not only are these some of the best sounding headphones on the market, they are also sweat resistant, allow for phone calls to be answered seamlessly, and come with an armband. Marathoner, triathlete, or just a health conscious son or daughter – this is the gift for them!
“Simple statement for everyday”
Click here to see on QVC.com > Diamonique Pave Ball Earrings
Bold statement earrings for everyday are totally on trend right now and these Diamonique ball earrings are perfect! We can’t wait for your mom, sister, or daughter to open these Christmas morning!
Hopefully, our holiday gift guide was helpful and at least provided some inspiration for your final shopping push before the holidays are officially here! Our gift suggestions run the full range of price and intended recipient, but regardless of who the gift is for or how much the gift costs – always remember that it really is the thought the counts!!
Happy Holidays and Happy Shopping from the Studio Scoop Team!
- Tony, Kate, Tori, Erin, & Lauren
Before you searching always remember to change your IP adress to not be followed!
PROTECT YOURSELF & SUPPORT US! Purchase a VPN Today!
I hope this finds everyone happy, healthy, and in the holiday spirit. You may have noticed in the short time I have been on the Q, that I like to live life to the fullest. Each day is to be celebrated, for it is a gift, each person is to be loved, for they are a blessing, and each moment is to be lived, for it is precious and will never be repeated. I try to be present in each moment, for moments are what create a lifetime. Yet, there is something extra special about the holiday season.
Everyone seems to have an extra little kick in their step, people smile a little more, give thanks more often, they tend to forgive others and themselves a little easier, and quite often present themselves as the best they can be… this is what brings joy to me during the holidays.
I spent last week picking out the Christmas trees for my family’s house and my parent’s home. I love decorating my parent’s tree. Each ornament has a meaning and a memory. Most of them are homemade, most have photos, and many are of us from when we were kids on Santa’s lap. It truly is a tree full of great memories.
Speaking of making memories, I am back on QVC this Thursday, December 12th from 1 -3am EST with my friend Nancy Hornback. If you’re looking to pick up something special for you or your loved ones, we have a show full of beautiful new designs!
J289106: Our new sterling silver and 14K gold reversible cross. One side features 14K gold lotus petals on our signature twisted Sukhothai cable while the other side features an elegant pave of rich white diamonique.
Hoop earrings are a classic silhouette that should be a staple in every wardrobe. These new 14K gold and sterling silver lotus petal earrings offer a BIG gold look with a comfortable fit. The 14K gold lotus petals can be seen from every angle. This item is available in 3 sizes: Huggie (15mm - J289109); Medium (30mm - J289108); and Large (45mm - J289107).
This gorgeous sterling silver and 14K gold Diamonique Collection is such an elegant look for any holiday occasion. Ribbons of White Diamonique pave inspired by the ceremonial ones worn during the high holidays take center stage and are accented with 14K gold lotus petals along our signature twisted cable design. Cuff (J289199), ring (J289112), and earrings (J289113).
Our Royal Sukhothai Collection features an elegant pave of citrine and light smoky quartz in sterling silver and 14K gold. John Hardy is known for their iconic cuffs and this is the first time we have created our own signature JAI statement cuff (J289043) along with the elegant matching earrings (J289045), and the beautiful dome ring (J289044). Each pave is mapped out to create a beautiful tonal appearance that creates a neutral look that allows you to wear it with a multitude of colors in your wardrobe. This collection truly is breathtaking!
I look forward to seeing you this Thursday when I present our new beautiful JAI John Hardy designs. Please join me on our Facebook page, our Instagram account (jaijewelry_), and our twitter account (@JAIJewelry), where we can stay connected on all things JAI.
I just finished making a few hot chocolate gift mugs! Do you remember when we featured those on You're Home with Jill back in October? (I nearly didn’t—it’s a good thing all my recipes and DIY projects are online!) That same day, we also made DIY Vanilla Extract which you can whip up this weekend, if you like. By the time Christmas Day is here, the vanilla will have released its flavor into the vodka and your lucky recipients will be so grateful for such a prized ingredient!
As we near the holiday, and spend more and more money on gifts, decorations, food, and things, don’t forget that gifts of food really are appreciated and are sometimes seen as more heartfelt than your average gift. I was going through my recipes in hopes that I’d do a little holiday baking this weekend and stumbled upon this gem: Lemon-Poppy Seed Bread. As I noted in the recipe, you can make one big loaf or make several mini loaves which are just the nicest little gifts.
Lemon-Poppy Seed Bread
Makes 3 large loaves, or 6 mini loaves.
This recipe is prepared with the Temp-tations® Sweet & Savory 10-piece Baking Set (K39454).
• 2 cups sugar
• 3 eggs
• 1–1/2 tsp baking powder
• 1–1/2 tsp salt
• 1–1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds
• 1–1/2 cups milk
• 3/4 cup vegetable oil
• 1–1/2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1–1/2 tsp almond extract
• 1–1/2 tsp butter extract
• 3 cups flour
• 1 cup powdered sugar
• 1–1/2 Tbsp water
• 1 tsp lemon extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Combine the first ten ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Then, slowly add the flour, making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.
3. Pour the mixture into a loaf pan, or into a muffin pan if you would like mini loaves. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick in the middle of the loaf comes out clean. (Mini loaves may take less time, check them after 20 minutes.)
4. While bread is baking, prepare the glaze. Combine all glaze ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
5. When finished baking, remove the bread from the pan and let it cool. Once it's completely cooled, brush it with the lemon glaze.
And, don't forget about hostess gifts! Wine is always a safe bet for the party-thrower, but it's not the only option. And, for those who don't drink alcohol, wine can seem impersonal. Before you go to a holiday or gathering, try to find out what your host or hostess likes, or what might be helpful at the event. If that's not possible, food-gifts are terrific options sure to be appreciated by all. To a busy planner who's been cooking and baking for days, there's nothing more welcoming than a Lemon-Poppy Seed Bread they can enjoy later, or use to supplement their existing spread.
For all the bakers out there…you know that stand and hand mixers not only make your job easier, but they actually produce better baked goods. It's true--cookies and breads rise better and everything you make has a fluffier texture than goods that are hand-mixed. If you’re looking for a Christmas gift for a new baker, it’s not too late to treat them to a KitchenAid.
I’ll see you tomorrow from 1-3pm ET for more great gift ideas. Join me!
From my home to yours,
KEURIG “MERRY & BRIGHT” PINTEREST SWEEPSTAKES
QVC, Inc. (“Sponsor”) is sponsoring the Keurig “Merry & Bright” Pinterest Sweepstakes ("Sweepstakes"). This Sweepstakes is not sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Pinterest.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. MUST BE 18 YEARS OR OLDER TO ENTER. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
By entering this Sweepstakes, entrants agree to abide by all terms of these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor whose decisions shall be final and binding.
Step 1: Visit www.facebook.com/QVC (full link to sweeps to be provided)
Step 2: Follow QVC on Pinterest by clicking “Follow us on Pinterest” via the entry form or by navigating to http://pinterest.com/qvc and clicking the “Follow All” button at the top of the page (assuming that you are not following QVC on Pinterest already).
Step 3: Enter your email address in the space provided on the entry form.
Step 4: Click “Submit & Pin” to pin the image to any board on your Pinterest profile.
By completing the Online Entry or submitting a Mail Entry, you are signifying that you have read, understand and agree to these Official Rules.
Only images pinned from QVC are eligible for purposes of this Sweepstakes; images pinned from other boards, websites or sources are not eligible for purposes of this Sweepstakes.
Limit of one (1) entry per person during the entry period either by Mail or Online. Any person who attempts to participate with entries in excess of these entry limitations will be disqualified.Any other attempted form of Sweepstakes entry is void. Any person who attempts to participate under multiple identities or uses any device or artifice to enter in excess of this entry limitation will be disqualified; use of programmed, automated or like means of entry is prohibited. All duplicate entries will be discarded. Use of multiple email addresses or Pinterest accounts by the same individual to enter is prohibited and such multiple entries shall be voided. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of the person submitting an entry, the entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the Pinterest account of the entry, which the entrant will have the obligation to establish. Sponsor is not responsible for late, incomplete, misdirected, delayed, or undelivered entries, including without limitation inability to access QVC’s or the entrant’s Pinterest board, or entries not timely received due to telephone failures, Internet or website failures and disruptions, and Internet service provider problems. Incomplete information may result in disqualification of entry. No entries may be effected on behalf of someone else. All Mail Entries are the non-returnable property of Sponsor. All eligible entries carry an equal chance of winning.
If a Winner is unable or unwilling to accept the prize he/she will be disqualified and the prize forfeited; and, in such event, an alternate Winner shall be selected from among all remaining eligible entries received. Prize cannot be substituted or transferred by Winner. If a Prize must be forfeited, Winner will not be given the cash value of the prize. Prize Winner is solely responsible for all expenses not expressly included. All taxes are the responsibility of the Winner. Winner and/or parent or legal guardian may be required to sign an IRS Form 1099, Form W-9, or the equivalent for all prizes valued at $600 or greater, or for any prize as to which Sponsor, in their sole discretion, believes it is warranted. Prize provided by QVC, Inc.
I just can't believe it is that time of year again! I have to admit, it’s one of my favorite times of the year! I'm all decorated for Christmas with the exception of our tree, which we usually put up around the 16th of December. It’s a tradition in our house to do a big seated Christmas dinner and, being of Italian heritage, we celebrate with a dinner of seven fishes. Even as a child we had the same meal in my house. Please share your family traditions below or on my Facebook page: www.facebook.com/DennisBassoQVC. I would love to hear from all of you!
This has been a wonderful year for me, and I want to thank the good Lord for watching over me. We celebrated my 20th anniversary on QVC! Where has the time gone?! I have designed a truly special hooded anorak coat in the most sumptuous faux fur. Introducing my Today’s Special Value for December 12th…my Faux Fur Zip Front Coat with Hood (A238381). It’s available in the color choices of Black, Chocolate, Burgundy and Emerald. I think it will be your go-to coat for the winter season and a coat you will enjoy for many years to come. The inspiration came directly from my couture ready-to-wear collection. I also designed a beautiful original printed lining as well. I always feel the inside is as important as the outside.
In addition to the Today’s Special Value, I will have several new pieces from my Platinum Collection which are true showstoppers!
Tune in for my shows throughout the day today, December 12th:
Midnight, 10a.m., 3p.m., and 9p.m. ET.
This is it for my shows in 2013, so I hope you can join me!
Thanks so much from the bottom of my heart for watching all my shows. I read all of your comments on my Facebook page and always love to hear from you.
Wishing you and your family the happiest of Holidays and a Healthy and Happy New Year. God bless all of you.
When the leaves on the trees start to fall and the air gets that crisp cool scent, I naturally start yearning for the beach. So on the first below 50 degree day this year, I immediately began googling ways to get my bum out of the cold and on to the sand. Given that we’ve now got a 19th month old son, our first priority is finding a family friendly destination. In other words, we can only consider direct flights that aren’t too long and happen to fall during Ashvin’s nap time. Once we get there, we require a big room for him to run around in plus lots of swimming pools (because swimming is his favorite sport)! While I really prefer 90 degree weather, my husband insists anything over 85 is murderous. He also wishes for nightly entertainment—gentleman code for a casino. I tend to stay home with our toddler on these nights. We finally found the place that fit all our tricky needs: The Atlantis on Paradise Island in the Bahamas.
I tried very hard to convince my mother and father to join us so they could fill in as babysitters on romantic dinners out. Unfortunately I was not persuasive enough. My mom prefers touring new cities by foot and exploring nature and history rather than lounging on the beach. To each their own! My dad, thankfully, a willing warm weather lover, said yes. I thought I had won half the babysitting battle but it turns out my dad prefers to go to the casino than staying in and babysitting. Well, at least my husband Manoj had a drinking and card buddy, while I got to spend some quality time with my little buddy!
On the day of our flight, Ashvin, who usually naps at 12:45 pm like clockwork, decided he wanted to stay up the entire flight. He spent the few hours running up and down the aisles of the aircraft saying hello to each and every passenger. I felt like I had endured an Olympic workout by the time we landed, but at least he made a lot of new friends!
Our hotel, the Reef at Atlantis was truly spectacular. The rooms were spacious with large balconies. Check out the view from my room.
The property is enormous and offers lots of activities for kids and adults. We enjoyed the Aquarium and had a lot of fun just lounging at the many pools and of course, the beautiful beach. Starbucks eggs and cheese English muffins were our breakfast staples and then we tried out the various restaurants at dinnertime. We took a trip over to the One & Only resort to eat Market, the Jean Georges restaurant on property, but our favorite meal was at Bobby Flay’s Mesa Grill. They had a corn side dish with Cotija cheese that was to die for. We liked it to so much that we looked up the recipe in his cookbook and made it for Thanksgiving. It turned out to be the biggest hit of our spread.
I can’t quite call the trip a vacation because chasing Ashvin all day and taking him swimming kept me pretty active. I’ve since decided that all family vacations should not be called vacations but rather “time spent with family.”This is much more accurate. I also had a very good reality check on my parenting style. I’ve read so many studies about not giving your child TV or videos until after they are two and we really stick to entertaining Ashvin with books, toys, stickers and conversation. However, he had daily tantrums when we went to restaurants and he saw all the kids around us glued to iPads and iPhones. It reached a point where he screamed “iPhone!” so loud that I had to give him my phone and allow him to watch a few nursery rhymes to avoid being asked to leave the restaurant! I’ve realized a little indulgence can result in a very peaceful meal for the adults and maybe iPhone time is not the end of the world…especially when I convince myself that he’s learning the alphabet on those apps!
Our arrival back to NYC was a rude awaking with 30 degree weather. The moment I got home, I was already googling locations for our next sunny trip.
What are your tricks for traveling as a family? And where is everyone spending the holidays? Any fun in the sun?
Before you searching always remember to change your IP adress to not be followed!
PROTECT YOURSELF & SUPPORT US! Purchase a VPN Today!